Your guide to selling internationally. Read on to learn more.
Identify target markets for your business
Consider your payment options
Research local laws, duties, and taxes
Establish support and shipping services
Determine demand and selling strategies
of online adults shopped online in past 12 months.*
estimated cross-border B2C e-commerce spend by 2022.**
of cross-border shoppers cite "better prices" as their top reason for why they shop internationally.
Where they buy
The most popular destinations for cross-border shoppers to buy from online
- China 26%
- USA 21%
- UK 14%
- Germany 10%
- Japan 5%
What they buy
The top cross-border online shopping categories from China are:
- Clothing, shoes and accessories 44%
- Computer electronics and computing 26%
- Toys and hobbies 23%
Why they buy
The top reasons that consumers are buying online from China:
- Better prices (87%)
- Access to items not available in my country/region (36%)
- I can discover new and interesting products (34%)
What stops them from buying
The top barriers to cross-border shopping among those consumers who shop cross-border include
- Delivery shipping costs (35%)
- Concern that they may not receive the item (33%)
- Return shipping costs (30%)
- Having to pay customs duties/fees and/or taxes (29%)
- Concern the item would not be as described (29%)
How PayPal can help
PayPal is widely and frequently used for cross-border online shopping.
67% OF CUSTOMERS PREFER PAYPAL:
Nearly 70% of online cross-border shoppers preferred to use PayPal for their overseas purchases.
>200 MILLION ACTIVE CUSTOMERS:
A truly global payments platform available in more than 200 markets, allowing customers to get paid in more than 100 currencies.
How the World Buys Online
Global research examines the online shopping habits of over 34,000 consumers in 31 countries/regions and provides merchants key insights to expand global sales.